Friday, May 18, 2007

Tokyo part 2

I woke up. Hm... didn't seem to have too bad of a hangover despite drinking of astronomical amount the night before. Let's see how I will fair in 10 years from now though. Like my friend Ty once said to me: "Dries, you'll get your first (real) hangover once you're 27." My roommate of the night Erez also awoke. We decided to get some of the black gold and headed for the nearby Doutor-coffee shop. It must have been around 8:30. What followed was an hour-long discourse in which Erez told me about his fascinating career in the Israeli army. Even my favorite sensei at university doesn't get that much attention and concentration from me. I was really captivated by every word that came out of Erez's mouth. It sounded like a movie to me: bribes, snitches, prison revolt, interrogation, insubordination, you name it. I started wondering whether or not I missed an enriching experience in my life, because of the abolished army service in Belgium. Erez quickly reassured me of the less glamorous side of the army.
Subsequently we called the girls to get them out of bed; it was time to fruitfully spend our last day in Japan's metropolis. Of course everybody who has experienced a good night of drinking knows of the usual, gluttonous hunger the next day. As such we opted to have lunch at this tiny Indian curry restaurant. We were lead up the stairs to the eating area. It actually looked more like a normal kitchen with four small tables. When I stood up right, my head brushed the ceiling. The lovely, Indian woman serving us was probably half my size. Even more so than I normally do here in Japan, I felt like Gulliver in the Land of Lilliput. The curry was excellent though and the delicious nan-bread abundant. During the reposing and digesting we discussed our plan of action for the day. Outcome: Odaiba. This large artificial island in the Tokyo Bay is one of Tokyo's main attractions with its over-the-top architecture and futuristic look. I had never seen it and team Israel recommended it with great enthusiasm.

Too bad we lost one of our travel companions on the way down there; Natalie was fatigued from the night before and felt rather feeble. Furthermore she still hadn't fully recovered from her previous, recent illness, so she decided to return early by Shinkansen and we said goodbye at Tokyo-station. The rest of our now weakened fellowship continued with its mission.
To get to Odaiba you can take the "Yurikamome", a fully-automated train that runs about 10 meters above the ground, which provides spectacular views. During this elevated train ride my jaw almost dropped to the ground. I was mesmerized by the sensational sights unfolding outside the window as the train glided between numerous buildings like a snake. Big, eccentric buildings of the likes I don't see in Kyoto, or even Osaka for that matter. Smilingly I kept on looking outside and taking pictures with my mobile phone. To the other travelers I must have looked like a little kid who grew up on the countryside between oaks and cows and then visits the big city for the first time, being in awe at the sight of these giant buildings and the cozy, urban busyness. This train to Odaiba itself was already an attraction worth taking. We got off at the sixth station: Daiba. There you walk to the waterside where you have marvelous views of main land Tokyo's skyline, the funky Fuji-television building behind you, Odaiba's own, miniature Statue of Liberty (!), the Rainbow Bridge that connects Odaiba with the Tokyo Bay etc. Simply unbelievable.
And the whole time I kept on asking myself why I hadn't taken my brother there in 2003 when he visited me. It would have been perfect for sightseeing and he would have loved it. There is a simple reason for that though: I had never heard of Odaiba at the time. That will teach me not reading the travel guide properly. I had made the mistake in Tokyo of trying to go and see traditional sites with my brother: temples and gardens. But that's of course not what you should see in Tokyo. Tokyo is skyscrapers, crazy architecture, crowded places, buildings with so much neon at night you'd think it was daytime. Well, next time then. Sorry bro.
After some walking around we continued the train ride until Aomi-station. Efrat wanted to do some shopping in the huge mall located there, so Erez and I went to the gaming center on the ground floor. Boys will be boys. And girls will shop.
It started getting late and we were tired; time to go home. So we decided and so it was done. Exit Tokyo.

I'm still a type 1, I still prefer Kansai to Kanto. But wow, how beautiful is Tokyo...




2 comments:

roachz said...

Yup, Odaiba is cool! Love the artificial beach... How could I say this, being an environmentalist?!!! Been there twice past fortnight! But then again, I love Roppongi Hills and Midtown more for excellent architecture........

AL LEE said...

I will go there soon! But I can positively say that I am a type 1.